Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Crane) Part A

Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Crane) Part A

(The Robber Bridegroom: Illustration by Walter Crane)

The first part of this unit was an interesting read. I was only familiar with the Cinderella story that was included, but I still enjoyed the others as well. It was a little upsetting that the fisherman in The Fisherman and His Wife never stood up to his wife bossing him around and requesting outlandish things. I wish we had been given more information about the fish, as he was an interesting character. As for the story of Cinderella, or Ashenputtel, I have heard this story before in several other forms. My favorite version of this story is probably the movie Ella Enchanted. The story in that film is not as close to the original as many others are, but it includes several of the same setting elements such as Ella having wicked step-sisters and a step-mother. The Robber Bridegroom was also quite an interesting story. It definitely surprised me that cannibalism was involved. I was glad that the main girl escaped unharmed from the robbers, but it was unsettling to see that the other girl the robbers brought to the house did not make it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Nerdy Psych Major

Week 2 Story: The Lion, the Man, and the Lesson